My Cloudways review: It details my observations and the perspectives of others, including benefits and downsides. It’s also the best choice for those looking to host their websites in the cloud.
According to w3techs.com, they operate 0.4 percent of all websites. Cloudways is not a traditional hosting company; they are agents for various cloud platforms and do not own or operate data centers.
Let’s start my review of Cloudways
Cloudways can access an additional 60+ data centers globally. So you can determine what locations are near your significant visitors. Their hosting is an affordable solution because you can get 1 GB of RAM and 1 CPU for about $10 per month.
- Digital Ocean: $10 per month.
- Linode: $12 per month.
- Vultr-Standard: $11 per month
- High Frequency: $13 per month.
Cloudways offers a free two-day trial and does not require you to provide a credit card.
That is a fantastic specialty for a beginner, but you won’t be able to offer it on Google or Amazon servers. However, you can test with Digital Ocean, Linode, and Vultr for those who want to experiment with cloud servers.
Pros & Cons
- Cloudways provides five servers: Digital Ocean, Google Linode, Vultr, and Amazon.
- 60+ data centers worldwide.
- Control your server to its maximum potential with the Innovative Panel.
- From the same account, you can host multiple websites.
- Pay-as-you-go service that doesn’t require an annual contract or a high-cost renewal.
- Ensure minimal downtime, high website performance, and long-term stability.
- You can modify the root of the application.
- Clone servers create copies of selective files and databases.
- You can get a free SSL certificate and install it quickly if you already have one.
- You can add any application to your server at any time, such as WordPress, Laraval, and Magento.
- Increase your server size anytime by using vertical scaling.
- You can’t decrease the server volume with DigitalOcean’s vertical scaling.
- They do not offer email service through their servers, so you’ll have to pay extra for email.
- They don’t allow you to buy a domain from them.
- Cloudways operates the StackPath CDN, and you’ll have to pay extra for that.
Anyway, sure, everyone, including myself, first considers the price. Cloudways is a Pay-as-You-Go platform, which means you don’t have to sign a long-term contract.
They have five cloud providers, which means five pricing levels. “No” more than that because Vultr and DigitalOcean have two different pricing levels. For additional information, look at their billing FAQ Page. It is like a prepaid mobile connection; the only thing there is to it.
01. Cloudways DigitalOcean
Yes, Cloudways DigitalOcean pricing starts at $10, making it an affordable option for beginners. I tried both standard and premium, and I don’t think there’s much of a difference.
It may be expensive for you, but you take control over shared hosting plans, so you may pay more than you would with another shared hosting service.
If you compare it with DigitalOcean, the price is high. As you can see, even the starter plan is different from 02 dollars.
It’s the same for me as with DigitalOcean. It’s okay if you prefer Linode Data Centers, but I think DigitalOcean is cheaper.
03. Vultr Standard
Similar to DigitalOcean, Vultr has two options to make your choice:
- Vultr High Frequency.
04. Vultr High Frequency
Vultr High Frequency provided me with better performance than standard, so if you decide to use Vultr, I recommend using High Frequency.
05. Cloudways AWS
With AWS, I got an outstanding performance. However, it is not suitable for new or small websites because it costs nearly $37.
A medium-traffic website with 2 GB of RAM and a dual-core CPU is fantastic. This is so sufficient that it does not require high-volume plans.
06. Cloudways Google Cloud
You know, Google services are always excellent. But compared with AWS’s features, that’s not enough. AWS gives 2 RAM and two cores to stater plans.
Many people prefer to use Google Cloud to host their websites. This is a great way to keep track of your website.
You can also use Kinsta on the Google platform, but they do not specify how many server resources you receive. Also, Kinsta Starter does not allow you to install multiple apps.
Step 1. First, go to Cloudways.
Step 2. Fill in the details. Also, you can use your Gmail account to sign up.
Step 3. After setting a strong password for your account, indicate your purpose as blogging or other. Continue, then you will be redirected to the dashboard.
Step 5. You must need verifying your account before starting the free trial. Simply verify via phone number verification, and you can create your test.
Step 6. Now you can start your server. If you are a beginner, I recommend using the DigitalOcean Standard plan with 1GB of RAM and one core because it is just $10.
The Final Step.
You can select something like the Vultr High-Frequency Server if you need some high-performance. However, it costs 13 USD for 1 GB of RAM and a core.
If you have a high-traffic website, you can use the Google cloud platform or AWS Server, but it’s costly and not suitable for beginners.
Remember to select a close data center for you and your visitors because the distance between you, your audience, and the data center will impact the performance and speed of your website.
When choosing hosting services, location is essential for the best speed and reliability. If you and your target audience are in Asia, a data center in Singapore or India is ideal.
It is identical to other locations in Europe and the US. You can select London, Amsterdam, New York, or Chicago. Even in Australia or New Zealand, you have to choose Sydney, but DigitalOcean doesn’t have a Sydney data center.
Server Optimization: There are a few things to consider for Cloudways server optimization.
Use PHP 8.0 and MariaDB 10.4. Change the memory limit to something more reasonable. You can activate Redis optionally. You can use good performance cache and speed optimization plugins.
Cloudways provides good features for the hosting environment, from server-level caching, varnish caching, Memcached, Redis, and many other features.
Varnish is one of several caching sections that employ to help your site load faster. Let’s look at some helpful feature comparisons that will help us determine our fee.
They provide dedicated firewalls with real-time monitoring to ensure the website’s success. It’s critical to keep track of traffic statistics. It also offers free SSL, and if you have paid SSL, you can easily install it.
The importance of tracking and analyzing website traffic
- Critical statistics
- IP requests
- Bot traffic
- URLs, and regulations are all included.
02. Five Cloud Servers and 60+ Data Centers
They offer five cloud servers. Google, AWS, Digital Ocean, Linode, and Vultr.
In addition to more than 60 data centers with dedicated SSD-based servers, it can help your website load faster and reduce latency.
03. Pay for your usage.
Cloudways does not have a long-term deal that only requires pay-as-you-go; it also means you don’t need an annual contract or a high renewal rate, as other companies do.
Most hosting companies offer a discount for the first year, two years, or three years of service. That’s a risk because we have no idea what’s going on after one or three years.
Also, after the end of a long-term contract, you need to have a high renewal price. It may be a maximum of two more than the starting price.
04. Easy domain management
You can add your domain to the app and point your domain using the accessible A records. On each server, you will have an IP address.
You can set that IP address for your domain to access the website simply by using an A record.
05. Extensive Application
They are not just for WordPress, and you can also install them at any time: PHP Custom App, Laraval, Magento, and Woocommerce.
06. Introduce your team.
Cloudways allows you to create teams with different entry levels into your account by teaming up with a new member you can invite to access some features.
You can also use the member route to access all billing and fund management functions. Even allowing access to the basis of authority is a step in the right direction.
07. Disk Optimization
You can optimize your server disk from the dashboard by removing unnecessary segments and data.
- Clear all files from the “tmp” folder.
- Clear all files from the “private_html” folder.
- Clear all files from the “local_backups” folder.
- Remove archived files from the “logs” folder.
- Remove archived files from the “/var/log” folder.
- You can even arrange that as an automated cleanup.
08. Monitor server resources.
You can keep track of server resources, which is essential for ensuring server health, query-free server maintenance, uptake statistics, and effortlessly managing your server’s resources.
RAM Usage, Disk Usage, CPU, Bandwidth all include monitoring. Also, the details section has read and write speed, cache hit rates, outgoing and ingoing network traffic, and most details.
10. Cloudways CDN (not recommended).
Cloudways offers CDN from StackPath’s data centers; however, you need to pay an additional $1 per 25GB for CDN expenses.
I do not recommend that. For a low price, you can use better CDN services like Cloudflare or BunnyCDN.
11. No Email
On the Cloudways server, you don’t allow email functionality. You’ll need to work with a different vendor for this or use a paid addon.
However, you can use the Zoho free email plan if you are not a heavy email user. It comes with a 5GB, 25MB attachment limit, Web access, free mobile apps, and email hosting for a single domain.
12. Other Tools
- If you have any server or application issues, you can restart your server.
- You can clone servers and create copies of specific files and databases.
- You can move your server to a different account.
- HTTP/2 is available on servers.
- Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of security for your account.
- MariaDB and Redis support servers.
- Using APIs, you can manage your servers and apps.
- You can change the PHP version to the latest update from the dashboard.
- Access to PHP files directly (It would be good in disablement)
- With your application, you can use GeoIP. It’s a way to keep track of your visitors, geography, and other analytics.
- CORS headers allow cross-origin resource sharing.
- If you’re using WebP images, you’ll get a fallback redirection to JPEG and PNG using Webp Redirection.
Breeze is a WordPress Caching Plugin. It allows for the optimization of various advantages. Breeze is still in development, so it is not a fully functional WordPress cache plugin.
However, you can use Breeze’s simple feature to speed up the performance of your website.
- Reduce files by making HTTP requests less frequently.
- Disable the emoji libraries placed via WordPress.
- Lazy load Images only load depending on visitors.
- Preload links, the page will load speedily with the links for users.
- Combining CSS and JS inside an individual file. (That will combine the HTTP requests, but we do not recommend these options if you have a medium or large website that will break or lack an interface for your website.)
- Gzip Compression Use this to shorten your files, making HTTP requests fewer and faster.
- The Browser Cache adds expired headers to static files.
- Preload Webfont Load WOFF format fonts for the best possible performance.
- Cache Query Strings
- Enable to create CDN sufficient on your website.
- Varnish cache management Varnish is pre-installed on servers.
- Clean up the trashed posts and pages.
- Remove all post revisions from the database.
- Clear all post auto drafts.
- Empty all the trashed comments.
- Remove spam comments that are perceived.
- Delete expired transients from the database.
- Remove all trackbacks and pingbacks.
- However, these optimizations are better arranged by WP-Optimize.
If you use a CDN for your website, you can use this section to integrate CDN services. CDNs will increase your website’s performance.
VPS and Cloud Hosting
If you need more about VPS hosting, read this article: Budget VPS Hosting Providers ( Best Cheap VPS hosting)
VPS hosting can be explained simply by dividing dedicated spaces among equal machines. On the other hand, server resources are in a shared process.
That means, while you won’t get dedicated hardware, you will get fixed web resources like RAM and storage.
Cloud hosting, in my opinion, is reasonable compared to VPS because of the lower cost, the fact that cloud hosting is more durable and fast, and the fact that VPS can experience downtime and downshift when compared to cloud hosting.
Most VPS hosting is unmanaged. It also requires some technical knowledge to manage it.
On the other hand, unmanaged cloud hosting is available directly from cloud services such as AWS, Digital Ocean, Linode, Vultr, and others.
Both have managed and unmanaged servers to buy, but it’s no issue if you are a developer or have some good knowledge of this industry.
Unmanaged servers are less expensive than managed servers because the provider charges some costs for managing them. There is some maintenance, such as obtaining panel, SSL, and OS licenses and requiring some employees.
However, there is no additional charge for an unmanaged server. If you are a newbie or do not understand it, I often recommend going with a fully managed service.
Cloud hosting is more expensive, whereas shared hosting is more user-friendly, with no need for advanced knowledge for users to share hosting because of all items with a few clicks.
Shared hosting is less expensive than cloud hosting. The cost of cloud hosting is significantly higher than that of shared hosting. Shared hosting has some advantages, such as being cheaper than cloud hosting.
Shared hosting has a more negative side than cloud hosting;
- Lack of website speed and performance.
- Shared hosting has limited server resources.
- You can’t get a fixed number of server resources.
- It has overload issues because many users use the same server simultaneously.
- It is not suitable for medium and high-traffic websites.
- Shared hosting has significantly more downtime than cloud hosting.
- Site speed optimization is more difficult with shared.
- Core Web Vital suffers from slow performance due to a lack of resources.
- Slow performance indicates that SEO is suffering.
As your website grows, shared hosting impacts its performance and loading speed. If the volume of traffic on your website changes rapidly, it’s always a good idea to update to more high-performance web hosting, like cloud hosting.
- Cloudways is a pretty choice for those who prefer to host a website using cloud services.
- That allows reliable hosting with lots of features to provide the progress of your website.
- It is ideal for those who desire a low budget with good hosting possibilities.
I’m not sure why, though people are sometimes concerned that Cloudways is technical. I mainly found the lack of a file manager to be a drawback.
While other things are normal, like other hosting services, like creating a server, launching an app, simple domain, and changes that also ask for migration, it’s not tricky—a simple dashboard with everything in front of you.
Yes, I know, it’s not 100% accurate like the Kinsta dashboard, but at that price, I also think enough development is hopefully in the future.
They use the latest PHP, MariaDB, Varnish, Redis, Nginx, Apache, and other latest technologies.
Breeze Cash is a poor plugin for advanced sites because it lacks performance. It is ideal for some small sites and newly launched websites, but it is not suited if your site is extensive and includes a lot of plugins, heavy themes, a lot of codes, or third-party codes.
I prefer to pay as you go. However, I think that such long-term discount contracts would be beneficial for at least a year.
Since you might use DigitalOcean and massive servers like AWS, they are perfect for every form of a website, from small to large.
Finally, Cloudways is a good option for cloud hosting. Also, it is suitable for testing websites because they have a free trial, and also, you only need monthly usage so that you can do it for 10 dollars.
That has some advantages, such as if you don’t know what you want to get out of the website or need to conduct some tests because a long-term contract carries the risk of losing money if you fail.
They are suitable for any website, from small to large, because you can use DigitalOcean and large servers like AWS.
I hope you found my Cloudways review is helpful, and best wishes for the future.
Frequently Asked Questions